Mom of 8 and staunch supporter of parentheses writes about life in her crazy, happy world
Wednesday, February 13, 2013
Stories
I have a few stories to share. First of all, Jill is watching Cinderella, and just a minute ago, she was trying to sing along with "A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes." She is so darn cute!
Also, what do I do with a 2-year-old boy who smears chocolate pudding all over half the floor while I'm in the shower and then, about an hour later, smears butter all over the other half (for the umpteenth time)? I'm waiting for it all to be funny. It's coming. I just was mad about having to clean both messes up before I got any lunch. Busy days! But who could stay mad at the little fella when he comes and growls "Wahr!" at me while he steals pieces of my lunch? I guess he was being a dinosaur.
I haven't mentioned Elizabeth's car troubles. Maybe she won't appreciate my mentioning them here, but I'm going to nonetheless. See if you think it's a funny story.
When Elizabeth moved in with us she owned a Jeep that wasn't running. She had plans to either get it running or buy another used car. Jeremy, Aaron, and Kenzie tried to adise her on what to do. They thought it would be a good idea to get the Jeep looked at and find out exactly what was wrong with it and how much it would cost to fix before she went out and bought another car. Somebody thought the problem was the fuel pump or maybe the engine, but nobody was sure. Well, Elizabeth wanted a new car. She pored over Criagslist until she found one that sounded good and that Jeremy agreed might me ok. She took that as her go-ahead to go get it that very day. That's not quite what he meant, and besides, she was texting him while he was trying to teach class, so maybe his meaning wasn't quite clear.
Either way, she had her brothers pick her up and take her down to the valley to get it. She looked it over and her brothers thought it looked fine, so she plunked down $1800 right then and there for it - without even test-driving it. *facepalm* They had a great afternoon going to the mall and such, but when it was time to go home, the car died before they even made it out of the valley. This time it may be a piston. The car was towed to her parents' house to take up residence beside the Jeep.
And that's not all. A week or two later, Elizabeth decided to try to fix the Jeep. She bought a new fuel pump for it and had a friend take it to work on it. Well, in the end, guess what he found to be the real problem. The problem was that a hose had been connected backwards. So I think she learned a valuable lesson. It was an expensive lesson, but a valuable one nonetheless.
OK, one last story. Yesterday was Jeremy's birthday. (Happy birthday, Jeremy!) I wanted to do something fun for him, so I decided that Jill, Timmy, and I would go get some balloons and take them to him. We went to Dollar Tree, where we usually get our mylar balloons for only a buck, but they were out of helium. So we went across the street to Fry's and found a balloon that we liked. It was going to cost $3 by itself, but still, it was worth it to me. A lady came and aired it up for us and Jill picked a pink weight for it so it could sit on Jeremy's desk. The lady mentioned that I could get 3 latex balloons to go with it for just a couple dollars more. That sounded good to me, so she aired those up, and Jill instructed her to put pink ribbon on two of them and blue on the other. And then the lady said that Jill and Timmy could have free latex balloons. Hooray! Jill got pink and Timmy got blue, and the lady even tied some little plastic heart-shaped weights to them. And then the cashier only charged us $1 for the entire thing. I told her that the lady said it should cost $5 or so, but she said not to worry about it. Sweet!
And then we went out to the car. I got Jill, her balloon, and Papa's balloon (and the treats we bought for him to share with his students) in the car, but when I went to get Timmy, the wind picked up his balloon and carried it away. I ran after it, but it kept bobbing just out of reach all the way across the parking lot and then started to cross the street. I was pretty sad about it, but Timmy didn't seem to care. I tell ya, to me there's not much that is more sad than seeing your balloon fly away.
So I finished loading up and started driving away, and when I looked across the street from the store, there was that silly balloon! It looked like it had gotten caught in a fence. Only, as I got closer, I found that it was just wound around a pole. There were a bunch of poles lined up, but the fencing was not on them. What is the chance of that? I was so pleased to find it safe and sound. I stopped and grabbed it and we went on our merry way. And we surprised Papa as he came back to his classroom. It was so fun! All in all, it was a great little outing. :) And I can't help but think that maybe Heavenly Father knew I cared about that silly balloon and helped me get it back - even if the poor thing did end up covered in chocolate pudding today and getting thrown away.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment