Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Timmy and other stuff

First of all, TMI alert for the next paragraph.

Ok, so remember how I wasn't sure if the stone was still there or not?  Well, I'm not wondering anymore.  In fact one reason why I'm blogging right now is because I'm hurting like crazy and I need to get my mind off it.  I also think it's dumb that this pain medicine has to be taken with food.  It's for serious pain.  Who in the world wants to sit down and eat something real quick when they're suddenly in serious pain?!  Not me.  But I was stuck doing just that at 1:00 AM the night before last.  It really worked, and it only took like 10 minutes.  And right now I'm feeling the dang thing just hangin' out.  It feels like it's right there where it could just pop right out, but it's just not.  I ate a sammich and took some pain medicine over an hour ago, and it hasn't done diddly this time. :( So it works for kidney pain, but not urethra pain or headache pain?  Poo.

End rant

So Mama asked me about Timmy and Primary.  She asked if he just missed Sunbeams altogether.  I guess I didn't explain what was going on or something, so let me just clear that up right now. :)

For one thing, our Primary is kind of small, so there are like 4 teachers total.  The classes are lumped together.  Timmy's current class includes Sunbeams and the class just above it, and the teacher teaches out of the Sunbeam manual.  So even if he did miss all of Sunbeams, he'd have a chance this year to hear it all again.  He may not ever look at anybody, but he shows me that he's catching things.  Now and then he just repeats things he hears.

OK, so Timmy had absolutely zero interest in going to Primary.  He still would rather not, given the choice, but under certain circumstances he can be convinced to stay.  So for the first few months when he was supposed to be in Sunbeams, rather than practically sitting on him to get him to stay in Primary I would just take him to Nursery.  The problem was that that was the moment when he decided to do some little social experiments.  For what seemed like the first time in his life he was noticing that there were other people around who were not Mommy.  He found out that some of them were little and that if he whacked them or pushed them over they'd squeal.  He employed those experiments in Nursery, and that made some of the kids afraid to go to Nursery.  And the Nursery leader really just seemed to not like him anyway.  He also is still shaky on the concept of consequences.  So if he gets put in the corner for hurting someone, that really doesn't help.  He doesn't see how his actions are connected with the consequence at all. 

And then we add to that the fact that he doesn't like change.  He was happy in Nursery.  And he is really quick!  If we tried to take him anywhere else we had to wrestle him to get him to stay, and then he was screaming the whole time.  It just seemed logical to me to let him stay in Nursery longer.  I, of course felt really bad for the kids who were afraid to go to Nursery.  And, of course, I felt bad for their parents as well.  But what could I do?  I seriously could see no alternative except to just keep him home, which just wasn't going to happen.  I knew that he'd finish with his little experiments and move on, but that's not what everyone else knew.  All they knew was that this kid was hurting people.  That makes him a bad kid, right?  WRONG!

OK, so you can see that the whole subject really raised my ire.  I seriously need to forgive and move on.

So anyway, I periodically tried taking him to sharing time, but it was a huge struggle every time.  The Primary president (the one who moved a few months ago) decided that Timmy could only go to Nursery if Jeremy or I went with him.  Like that would prevent him from hitting when he got the urge, right?  Anyway.  Ergh.  Anyway, we settled into a routine where Jeremy and I took turns sitting with him in Nursery.  For a while we had a nice lady in Nursery who understood the situation better, and she'd tell us we could just go to class.  And then the Primary President would come up to me in the hall after church and let me know that we had to be there with him.  So anyway, our routine was that we'd sit with him in Nursery and then his Sunbeams teacher would take him to class.  We found that he could easily handle the classroom part of Primary, especially because they had a snack right when they went in.  Well, then the nice lady in Nursery went on a mission, and the other lady told us one day that Timmy had to leave at snack time because she didn't want him to want to come back.  Oh, I was livid! 

Well, in the end it kind of turned out ok.  Kind of.  By that time we'd tried taking him to Primary enough times that it wasn't just totally unexpected.  I tried a few different things to try to help him be happy through Sharing Time, but he couldn't really last any longer than that.  I brought in Play-Doh, and that worked for a month or two.  I just kept it in my bag, only for Sharing Time.  He would sit on my lap or on his chair and just play with it, and he was good.  And now that he's tired of Play-Doh he's getting used to just being there anyway.  I suppose I should thank the Nursery leader for being rude because we were forced to be more persistent in getting him to stay in Primary, but then again, no.

And also during that time, Timmy's teacher's daughter was on some sort of all-state softball team, so they were gone for that pretty much every Sunday.  That meant that I was sitting through Sharing Time with Timmy and then winging it with a lesson too.  I love my son and am thankful to help him, but it was frustrating.  I went for months without going to my own classes.  If I had a calling that caused that it would be one thing, but I didn't.  And then there's the fact that I was taking care of Timmy for pretty much the entire 3 hours.  Church really winds him up! 

Well, now the softball season is over.  His teacher is still hit and miss.  I really can't grumble about that, though.  I know that she has struggles.  Her husband has only been to church once in the last like 20 years.  It's hard going by yourself with kids, and I can't imagine going by yourself when your husband has no interest in going himself.  Seriously, hats off to her for keeping coming all these years.  Also, she is really good with Timmy.  She has gotten to know him a bit.  She doesn't mind that some days he needs to be under the table or on top of the tower of chairs.  She just rolls with it.

So now he isn't going to Nursery anymore, and I'm really thankful that he has a helper now.  She's a nice girl.  She'll do great!  And since I have to teach Relief Society, it is quite timely.  I'm so thankful!  I'm looking forward to this year's Primary because he's learning and growing.  He'll have somebody to help him, and I think that the more he goes, the more he's going to pick up on Primary songs.  He's picked up other songs, and I'm really excited for him to start singing Primary ones. :) Plus, with a helper he could probably even be in the Primary program this year.  I can't guarantee that he'll say anything in the microphone, but he could really do it. :) 
And with that, I'ma go make some dinner.  I've been chugging water, trying to be a good girl so I can pass this stone and avoid more, and it helped with pain.  But now I'm super sleepy from the pain pill.  Maybe that finally kicked in to help with pain too.  Ha ha!  I don't know.  Uncharted territory.  I'm thankful it's only one stone.  I can't wait until it's gone and I can get back to life as normal.

No comments: