Wednesday, June 12, 2013

All Done

Well, surgery is done.  I picked Jeremy up at about 9:00, and he has been resting in bed since.  I picked up his Vicodin, and I'm wondering if he'll use it.  I also got lots of gatorade and some saltines and soup.  The poor guy has nauseous.  I keep thinking I should have taken a picture of him being wheeled out in that wheel chair.  I am pretty sure he wouldn't appreciate that.  He wore his sweats and took nothing at all with him.  He wanted to be comfy and they said to leave all his valuables at home. 

Now, about this lump - it was 2-3 inches across.  It was on his lower back an inch or two away from his spine and just above his waist.  The doctor thinks it's probably just some fat that got trapped between skin layers or something like that.  It could be caused by a bad bug bite or getting hit right there or something.  He says that when he was little he was bit by a black widow right there, so we wonder if that's the cause.  It took a long time to go away, but it did, and then this lump appeared probably 3 years ago.  Maybe more.  I guess we just finally got around to getting it looked at, and here we are.  They are doing a biopsy on it, and the results should be in in time for his follow-up appointment on the 24th.

So he has Vicodin if he needs it, and he's supposed to take Ibuprofen every 8 hours whether he needs it or not.  He can't shower until Friday, and he can't bathe or swim until the 26th.  I thought I was going to need to do dressing changes and whatnot, but apparently not.  They have a clear bandage on there, she says, and that should be taken off on Sunday in the shower.  And there are bandage strips under that that should be left alone until they fall off.  I really haven't seen any of this.  I just put him to bed.  I assume they're the same kind of strips that get stuck on my tummy after the staples are taken out from a c-section.  So, no, I don't have to change dressings.

I keep remembering how recovery from a c-section is.  It is not fun.  He is already moving more quickly and easily than I do after a c-section, but really that's not too surprising.  A c-section is a bigger deal involving a bunch of layers of tissue that have to heal.  He came out looking so pale, though.  And the smell of food bothered him when we made lunch a few minutes ago.  I'm hoping he'll be ready to at least drink something by this evening.

Dang!  The poor guy.  I want to do something to help him, but right now I've done all I can (put him to bed and got his prescriptions).  It really might make me feel better if I could do something to help, but all the help he needs right now is rest.  So we'll keep the kiddos out of there and just leave him alone until he asks for something.  I am really thankful, though, that it's over and went well!

No comments: