Monday, June 3, 2013

Little Guy's Name

I've been meaning to write something about our new little guy's name, so here it is.

You all know we give our children names that have historical value to us.  First we have John Hyrum.  He was named for John the Beloved as well as Hyrum Smith and Hyrums in Jeremy's family history and mine.  Then there's Joshua Jeremy.  Both of those names are in the bible, and, of course, Jeremy is also after his father.  (Joshua fit the battle of Jericho and the walls came tublin' down...)  I like that Joshua's middle name is Jeremy.  He looks like Jeremy did when he was younger.  He could have been Joshua Gideon if it had fit.  And then Benjamin Samuel.  He knows he is named after King Benjamin, and he used to talk about that when he was like 3 and couldn't say is c's or g's.  ("Ting Benjamin")  And I thought Samuel was for the boy in the bible, but Jeremy says it's for Samuel the Lamanite.  I'm ok with that.  Then we have Michael Peter.  Michael the archangel and Peter the apostle.  We weren't sure of his middle name until we looked at his round little face.  Then it was obvious.

For Jill, well, there aren't many girl names in the scriptures.  And when we were first married we knew pretty quickly that someday we would have a little girl named Jill.  The name doesn't have any historical value with us at all.  We just knew we would have a Jill.  We waited a long time for her!  I was sure for a long time, too, that we had agreed her middle name would be Lisette, but then when it came down to it Jeremy didn't want her to have a middle name at all.  He finally coughed up a very short list of acceptable middle names for her (I think it had 2 names on it), and the deciding moment was when the lady from the records department at the hospital wouldn't stop pestering us for Jill's full name.  We hadn't decided.  I really wanted Jill to have a middle name, and Jeremy was on the phone with the lady waiting for me to hurry and decide.  I finally said, "How about Hope?"  (That was on Jeremy's list, and I liked it just fine anyway.)  And so there it was.  It has been quite appropriate to our family as we were going through some really tough times when Jill was born.  And at least she has one name that is in the scriptures. ;)

And then Timothy Adam.  Timothy was Paul's good buddy in the bible.  And Adam is after our father Adam, of course, and is also Jeremy's middle name.  I really wanted Frederick like President Uchtdorf for a middle name, but Jeremy won this time.  It's all good.

Anyway, so you get it - bible/family names.  I never thought I would consider the name Abraham.  (For that matter, I never thought I would consider calling someone Hyrum.  I have a brother with Hyrum as his middle name, so it always seemed like a middle name to me, not a name you would call someone.  As it turns out, for Hyrum it's both.  And I think it's cool that Hyrum has the same initials as my brother James. :) I think that the nickname Brom is what sold me on it.  There is Brom Bones in The Legend of Sleepy Hollow.  Brom is kind of an antagonist, but I still liked the name.  And then there's the Eragon book series.  Brom is the name of the hero's mentor.  I really liked him.  And when I figured out that Brom is short for Abraham I liked it even better.  (I like Abraham.  He's a good guy.)  Back in 2011 we were at home in Cedar City one day and, for some reason, Jeremy and I started talking about baby names.  We suddenly agreed that our next boy would be named Abraham and we would call him Brom.  And then Jeremy blurted out a girl name too that I liked but I am sure we'll never use.  I'm not sure Jeremy even remembers it.  It was just on a whim.  Anyway, so that's sort of why this guy is named Abraham (Brom for short).

Now, the middle name we've been stuck on.  We've wanted to use Robert (my dad's name) with a few of our boys, but it hasn't fit so far.  I'm a little bummed about that.  Besides, if we gave him the name Robert as a middle name we could call him Brom Bob for short.  Baaah-haaa-haaa!  I tried suggesting Frederick again (but, of course, pronounced with a long first e like President Uchtdorf pronounces his middle name), and Jeremy said ok as long as we pronounce with with a short first e.  Then we could call him Brom Fred.  Ha, ha!  We could shorten the whole thing to one word.  Brombob or Bromfred.  The latest middle name we've been considering, though, is Elijah.  I like that one.  I do believe it was the name of a kid we knew in Mesa who always had horrible amounts of boogers hanging out of his nose.  So I'll try to just remember the song "Elijah Rock" instead.  Jeremy sang that one in A Capella choir way back when I first met him.  He wrote "Elijah" on a big rock and carried it out for that song during their performance.  I'm sure that was another one of Dr. Lunt's cheesy jokes (I love that guy!), but Jeremy loved that.  I have a picture of him holding the Elijah rock.  And besides that, we all like Elijah in the scriptures.  He was definitely a good guy.

So there you have it. 

The little guy is bopping around still and seems to be doing well.  I keep trying to remember when they'll let us schedule our delivery.  Is it 2 weeks in advance of the due date, or is that not allowed anymore?  Aw, darn.  I looked in my blog book from when I had Timmy, and it says they're not allowed to schedule c-sections more than a week before the due date anymore.  That means not before September 10.  Darn!  I was hoping it was 2 weeks because that would be exactly 3 months from today.

And speaking of which, I wonder where we will be.  Yesterday Jeremy asked me, "So is it better to move my pregnant wife in the middle of the pregnancy or to leave her here for the entire hot summer?"  That is quite a decision.  Ha, ha!  I don't know.  It all depends on the job situation.  And speaking of that, we are going to be jobless the day after tomorrow and I'm freaking out a little bit.

No comments: