Monday, July 8, 2013

Michael

I've decided I need to hurry up and get these posts about the children done.  I've got my next book in the works, and I want all of these in it. 
 
 
Michael is my fiercest independent.  Even when he was tiny he was trying to do big kid things, and he wanted them done his own way.  He doesn't like to be told no and will often go ahead and do what he feels like even after being told no.  It's aggravating at times!  But there is a good side to his independence.  Sometimes it means that he is sneakily helpful.  And every time I allow any of my children's independent thinking on projects we come up with things that are way better than what I was thinking of. 
 
Another thing that Michael loves that is often quite aggravating is picking on his brothers now and then.  I think he does it so that he'll get some extra attention when he cries after the squash him.  He especially loves to pick on Hyrum.  I always wonder how many squashings he'll need before he learns to leave Hyrum alone.  And I try to encourage him to come and find me instead of seeking attention in this way.  But he seems to like the pity or something.  Ah, well.  They all work it out eventually. ;)
 
Along with being fiercely independent he is also very loyal to family and friends.  He loves his grandparents and his aunts, uncles, and cousins.  The very fact that somebody is related to him means a lot to him, and he really appreciates the people that he is related to.  One of his hardest things about moving to Cedar City was that he missed the relatives he left behind in Globe, and I think that maybe he is one reason why we came back.
 
Michael is a very cuddly fellow who just needs his mom sometimes, especially at night.  He is like me and worries more at night.  Last night he heard Jeremy telling Michael something about being nice to Timmy because who knows what might happen and we don't want something not so nice to be Timmy's last memory of Hyrum.  It was probably spoken out of tiredness.  Surely, it isn't very likely that something horrible would happen, but it's a point that I have tried to make for our children myself.  I can't even really stomach the thought of them going to bed after getting yelled at for something.  I want their last thoughts before they drop off to sleep to be happy.
 
Anyway, so what Jeremy said struck a chord with Michael last night, and he was really, really worried that something horrible is going to happen to Timmy.  He cried and told me over and over that he doesn't want something horrible to happen to Timmy.  I held him and tried to reassure him.  Really what he needed was some sleep, but I'm hoping that my holding him for a while helped.  He may bet annoyed by Timmy from time to time (little brothers... what are you gonna do?), but he really loves that little guy. 
 
I love that Michael's best friends are relatives.  He really likes his cousin Brookie who is about a year younger than him.  He was really sad this year at the Badger campout to discover his little playmate Sami didn't come this year.  The poor guy wandered around looking sad a lot during that campout.  He and Benji have been friends for a long time, even if sometimes they do forget.  I love watching them play together.  Michael also really likes playing with Jill.  They switch around roles and play house.  Usually, Jill is the mommy or Michael is the daddy.  And Michael loves to go find Jill in her class after church on Sunday.  He chases her around the room until I get there because he's not allowed to just take her. 
 
He also has one friend from school, Maxine, who he has talked about off and on.  He has wondered if someday he will marry her. ;) And one thing he likes best about school is meeting new friends.  I think that quality will help him later in life.  It's actually a quality I wish I had.  I do like meeting new people for the most part, but mostly I am too nervous in that situation.  I think that it could mean that he'll avoid a lot of loneliness in his life.  He is a sweet, caring, and outgoing guy.  I think he'll be just fine.

 

Michael has done really well in school.  It has been such a pleasure to watch him learning to read.  I think that family scripture time has really blessed his life in this area.  The same can be said with all of our children.  It's neat to hear him read the scriptures because he can read most of those big old words.  He only needs help with a word or two each time.  And it turns out that reading is his favorite thing about school.  I think that's pretty neat.  Each time I see my children catch hold and start to enjoy reading it's a gift to them and me both. 

I've appreciated many times how Michael would come home most days and get his homework done right away.  He seems to really like doing homework most of the time, and he does a good job with it.  His teacher said that at the end of this last school year he was finally starting to come out of his shell.  I think that it was a very good thing he participated in that talent show at the end of the year.  Not only did it mean he was exhibiting his skills in front of the whole school, but it brought cheers from his classmates, who were in awe over how cool his rollerblades looked and how neat it was that he could skate.  I think that is one experience I will always remember. 

One thing I am sure Michael doesn't know is that I was going through some really tough times when he was born.  And not only that, but I'm sure he doesn't know how I needed him then.  I clung to that boy.  I'm afraid I kind of spoiled him because I needed him so much.  It is something that he really couldn't help - being there for me.  All he did was be his cute, tiny self, and that was all I needed.  I think that the same could be said for all of our children.  They have come right on time and brought things to my life that only they could bring.  It's just that Michael happened to come during a particularly challenging time.  He was my balm, and for that I will always be thankful.

Michael likes to draw from time to time.  It seems like every time he does Joshua exclaims at how cute his efforts are.  (Joshua loves things that are cute.)  He really likes art time at school and has made some fun things there.

Off and on throughout the school year Michael's school held family reading nights.  They were supposed to be fun, activity-filled nights, and Michael always begged to go.  I feel bad about the fact that we never once made it to one.  We never once made it to one when Benji was there either.  The problem is that the school really likes to schedule things for Wednesdays, which is my busiest day of the week.  Those reading nights always fall soon after I pick up boys from Cub Scouts, right when I need to be making dinner and feeding everyone.  And now that Hyrum is 12 they also happen to overlap with his scouts time.  Poor Michael was so disappointed that we never made it.  They even handed out books during those nights, but thank goodness his teacher always saved his books for him.

Oh, and speaking of school and reading, the school that Michael attended this last school year is closing.  I think that this is part of a process that started maybe while we were in Utah.  The 7th and 8th graders who were attending Lee Kornegay Junior High were sent to the high school (now the Miami Junior/Senior High School).  Lee Kornegay was mostly empty last school year.  There is a small portion that was open and housed the 6th grade classes, but those classes went next door to Bejarano School for lunch, library time, art, etc.  They were technically still part of Bejarano School.  Well, starting this coming school year, the students at Las Lomas (Michael's school last year) will be housed in Bejarano school up the hill, and all the Bejarano students are moving into Lee Kornegay.  That's a lot of moving things around!  I think Las Lomas was getting too old, and enrollment has probably been down throughout the school district. 

What this meant for Michael is that his teacher was downsizing.  She let them take home a LOT of books, and Michael was so pleased.  For the last week or two he kept bringing home more and more books.  He decided to give some of them to Brookie, but he wanted to keep most of them.  Most are old reading books, and he has really loved having them.  And I think he secretly wishes a bit that we would stick around for the next school year so he can go to Bejarano.  (Not that I have any clue where we are going to be next school year - which starts next month.  Yikes!)

Michael, so far, has been different from his older brothers in that he is a little skinny guy.  I think this is mostly due to the fact that he still doesn't eat a whole lot.  He does like to eat, and he likes treats, but when it's dinner time he only wants as much as I'm giving to Timmy and Jill.  (Yes, we could go into the argument that we need to address the weights of our 3 older boys, but that's another topic for another day.) I've found that interesting.  It was right around Michael's age that Benji started bulking up.  I think part of the reason why Michael hasn't is that he seems just determined that he's not going to.  He even said something to that effect once.  (And yes, this all does have me thinking about the sad fact that children worry more about their weight at younger ages these days.  Surely, it's something that society has had to address, but I feel sorry that they can't just have a happy, care-free childhood.  And I feel sad that I have three sons who are overweight.  Goodness, the feelings that brings up!  Let's leave that for another day, shall we?)

I love how grounded Michael is.  He loves to be silly and crazy, but it seems like he always goes back to his center.  I can see his little budding testimony in that center along with his love of family and friends.  It seems like even when is world is turned upside down he can always somehow find that center.  I think it has kept him sane though all the changes we've had.  He seems to have been born with the knowledge that even though things change he can still play with Benji and Jill, and he will still have the gospel. 

And speaking of the gospel, there is something about Michael that I would really like to share here that I guess I had better keep to myself.  I know I am horrible even mention something that I'm not going to explain.  Suffice it to say, he has been diligent in his prayers and has exhibited quite a bit of faith in these his young years.  I can't deny that I am pretty darn proud of him for that.

Like his brothers, Michael really enjoys video games and is pretty good at them.  There have been times when he's helped me figure things out on certain games.  He's 7 years old and is already showing his mommy up!

I love that Michael of mine!

In other news, I talked to Hyrum's doctor a week ago, and they found nothing wrong in the ultrasound.  So I guess we just won't worry about it.  I'm not sure why he was in so much pain, but I'm glad it's gone.

And in other other news, Jeremy and Hyrum are off to Hyrum's first time at scout camp today.  They went up to Camp Raymond.  They packed up everything in the little car on Saturday, and this morning at 3:15 they hopped in the car and drove away.  They got to camp at around 8:00.  I'm so glad that Hyrum could go and that Jeremy could go with him.  I know it's hard for Hyrum.  He is 12, but he hasn't spent many nights away from me.  There was the time when he was 5 that I spent two months living in the valley while he stayed in Globe with his brothers and Papa. (I was waiting down there close to a better hospital, just in case, because I was pregnant with Michael and had complications.)  But that was a long time ago.  He cried saying good night to me last night.  Poor fella.  I miss him.  Not only is he my best helper, but he is one of my favorite people.  I miss Jeremy too.  He has been so kind and loving during these last few weeks when this pregnancy is really starting to take its toll.  (I have not been the best wife and mother lately.  Not only does cleaning make me cry before too long, but I can't seem to think clearly.)  And besides that, I just happen to like having all of these, my favorite people around. 

No comments: