Sunday, August 11, 2013

A little somethin'

I feel like we are more or less kind of getting in the groove of things with school.  It's still hard.  In fact, just on Friday Joshua had one of his days where he simply could not focus.  It was one of those days where he goes crazy and cannot stop.  I still don't know what set him off, and I'm not sure how to help.  I'm going to have to do some digging.

I keep getting hurt lately.  A lot of it is because I'm tired and clumsy, but I like to tease Hyrum and say it's all his fault.  See, the other day I went shopping, and I took the two little ones and the two big ones with me.  Jill and Timmy were angelic the entire time.  That was surprising.  Jill likes to run everywhere and go crazy every time, but this time she sat in the car cart and was just so good.  And Timmy did the same.  Hyrum and Joshua, on the other hand, were nutso.  They were playfully smacking each other and stuff.  You know - they are really annoyed by each other at a moment like that, so they try to get back at each other without really hurting each other too bad.  Hyrum kept trying to run Joshua down with the shopping cart.  And Joshua kept running away screaming.  Yeah, real mature like.  Anyway, as Hyrum was pushing along, fuming about Joshua's teasing, he ran into me and scraped the skin off the back of my ankle.  And then later he ran into the same ankle again! I tried to have him go ahead of me, but he was mosying a little too slowly for me.  (That's saying something.  I mosy pretty slowly these days.)  And then the next day during school he needed help.  I was sitting in my computer chair and figured I could just scoot my bum over there.  I pushed off and my foot slipped, and I broke my toenail on the leg of the couch.  Bleeding again!  And then he almost ran over my foot too.  See?  It's all his fault!  (I like to tell him that, and then he frowns and chuckles like he does every time we tease him.)

Timmy seems to be changing every day.  For a couple of days this week he would growl at us if his answer to our question was no and also if he just felt like it.  It was really loud.  It was cute when he was playfully growling with me the day before, but it wasn't so cute when he was growling to be mean.  Well, thank heavens that didn't last long.  I hope he'll keep not doing that.  We've been trying to get him to say, "Hi," instead, and so far it's working ok.  He's learning new words all the time, and it's fun.  Right now he has a huge bite on his foot.  Poor fella.  I felt bad putting his swollen foot in a shoe this morning, and we almost didn't at all.  But he really likes shoes.  I think he would have been sad if we left them in the car.

And speaking of shoes and church, last Sunday a bunch of us woke up feeling yucky.  It was not cool.  I wasn't sure what to do.  I tried to get us all ready, but it's hard when we're all feeling yucky.  I got Jill's dress on her as she slept.  I wrestled Timmy into his clothes (he doesn't like that - every Sunday) and then he fell asleep again while I was hemming and hawing about putting his shoes on.  I knew it was going to be a struggle.  I finally decided I'd just put them on when we got to church, except I couldn't decide if we were going to go.  In the meantime, three of the boys got ready for church.  I knew I didn't want to take some of them by myself.  I didn't feel like I could.  And for one thing, I knew I'd better not take Timmy to nursery because his eyes were goopy.  I knew that I simply could not wrestle him or chase him through Sunday School and Relief Society.  Not in this state.  Well, I was about to say, "Let's all just go back to bed," when Timmy sat up, quite awake and happy and let me know that he wanted his shoes on and was ready to go.  So that did it.  I took Hyrum, Joshua, Michael, and Hyrum and went to church.  And it's nice how every time it's especially hard to go to church I am especially blessed for doing it.  There were some really nice testimonies, including one from our bishop that was just really good and had us all crying (including he himself). 

Well, since I couldn't take Timmy to nursery I decided to go home after Sacrament Meeting.  Hyrum (good boy that he is) really wanted to stay for the rest, so I picked him up later.  But I took Joshua and Michael home with me because that's what they wanted.  Timmy, though, was quite upset as I carried him to the car instead of class.  He started crying and trying to squirm down as soon as we got to the door, and then he grabbed the door frame with all his might.  Poor fella.  It broke my heart.  He wanted to be where he should be and I couldn't let him.  I had to wrestle him down to get him buckled, and then he cried all the way home. 

Well, anyway, I was thankful for my good boys who wanted to be where they should be.  And I was thankful that at least Joshua and Michael came.  I hope they see the good that comes from that sacrifice.  It is a sacrifice to make it there every week, but it's very much worth it.

And while I'm on the subject of church - I remembered today that one day a few months ago we went to church in Globe 1st Ward.  After classes were all done and we were getting all loaded in the car Jill turned to me and said in an excited voice, "Mommy!  The Holy Ghost will help me!"  I was so pleased!  I hope she always remembers that. :)

And at Relief Society today I was trying to stay awake and squirming a bit because I'd sat so long and my bum was tired.  And the teacher (Cathy Kinnard) talked for a bit about sharing our talents, and then after we were done she came up behind me and put her hand on my shoulder and said, "I want you to know that I was thinking of you when I said we needed to share our talents.  I need to hear you sing!  I know you have a lot going on with all your kids, but I want to hear you sing!"  I wasn't sure what to say at that, but I like it nonetheless.  She talked to me a few months about singing as well - something about what part do I usually sing because she thinks her voice is kind of like mine.  I don't know.  Still, I love Sister Kinnard, and I'm glad she likes my singin'.  I sure enjoy singing.  I may have to volunteer one of these days - just for her. :)

No comments: