Friday, July 29, 2016

Research Woes

First of all, we went to St. Johns for the 24th, and while we were there Daddy told me all about his schooling and showed me the pages too.  It makes me so excited!  I feel like that's something I could do!  I actually have a few days before the deadline to sign up, and it kills me a bit, but I've decided that I need to not do it this year because my little guys need me to be present.  I have waited so long.  I suppose waiting some more won't kill me, but I am excited to start!  Someday...

I looked over the BYU-I website, and I've kind of decided to do the University Studies degree.  I have to do a minor and two clusters or two minors and 1 cluster with the degree.  I know 2 of the things I do are English and Family History. I think I'll do a Family History minor with an English cluster, but I don't know what else.  It's exciting to think about, though, and I have time to figure it out.  All that doesn't start until after Pathway anyway, so I'm good.  Anyway, even though I have to still wait, I feel like I finally have a good fit for what I want to do!  I didn't want to do just creative writing, and I think my days of being a music major are done.  This would be so great!

And speaking of Family History, I'm still working away on that Badger book.  I do some work on it almost every day.  It's a labor of love, but it's also quite frustrating at times.  It's hard to track down all those people who married nonmembers!  And just yesterday I was working on a couple from the McAllister family, and I was STUCK.  It drives me nuts!  I'm the kind of person who wants to fill in ALL the blanks, and when I can't it just kind of eats at me.  I know where these people are buried, but I cannot find where they died.  I have a long list of resources I usually go to, but all of them have been exhausted several times over, and I can't find any more info.  I think today my plan of attack may involve actually calling the cemetery.  I don't like calling people!  Ha ha!  The pains we go to.  And since MyHeritage doesn't have the partnership with the newspaper archive place, I don't have that amazing resource to use at this time.  Darn it!  That was so helpful!  I may have to break down and just pay the $10/month to get the subscription.  And then after doing all that work to document these people it kills me to just leave their work undone.  Part of me says, "I did the work!  I should be allowed to take the names to the Temple!"  But another part of me just feels really sad that it's not getting done.  I hope someone will find it!  And I'm very glad to be a help if I can.

The other thing is that sometimes these people actually have been married more than once, and the people they married were also married more than once and so on.  And that means a whole lot of work tracking down these people.  I've found a lot of information and filled in lots of blanks over the last few months, but man!  Sometimes when I find out there's one more spouse and then one more and then one more I just wanna smack 'em! ;) But then I calm myself down and remember why I'm doing it (and probably get some lunch because that's probably one reason I'm so worked up in the first place).

School starts in just less than 2 weeks (August 10).  Hyrum and Joshua will have about a week and a half of seminary before college starts.  I think I already said that.  We'll have 6 kids going to 5 different schools this year, unless you count Seminary, in which case it's 6 schools.  It sounds crazy, but I'm not really worried.  Well, at least I'm not worried about the number of schools.  It's just an interesting bit of trivia to me.  I will be getting Benji all registered for middle school next Wednesday, and then we'll only have a week left.  I am curious to see how Timmy does with his new class, and I'm curious to see how Joshua does as well.  I'm glad that his schedule isn't hard.  He'll be done by 11:00 every day, except for that drawing class on Tuesday night.  I just worry about him staying on top of assignments.  He always had trouble with that in public school because sometimes he missed the assignment announcement in class.  Jeremy assures me that every assignment will be in the syllabus, because if it's not the students can appeal and the teacher can get in trouble.  We'll just have to post those syllabuses on the wall.  (My computer says syllabi is not a word.  Darn it!)

Here's another bit of trivia.  Timmy deals with the heat by taking off all but his underwear as soon as he gets home.  It makes it tricky when we have to go somewhere and i have to track down shoes AND clothes.

Also, my dryer is on the fritz.  It's not heating up, so it takes at least 2 cycles to dry anything.  If it's not one thing, it's 2 or more others.

Yesterday I made a bajillion cookies.  I've decided that my Bosch just probably isn't meant to make a quadruple batch in one whack.  Next time I'll just make two double ones.  Good thing chocolate chip cookies get mixed up quickly.  I sent 2 dozen with Hyrum and Joshua for their last day of painting class, and I took 3 more dozen around to different people who I thought could use a little something.  I've decided that's my niche.  I make cookies for people.  It's just what I like to do.  It's a little awkward - the part where I actually give them.  I do not have super people skills, and when I get to the door I don't know what to say.  But maybe I'll figure it out.

OK, that's enough for now.  Maybe I'll start a fresh post and add some pictures.


No comments: