I've been thinking about how from time to time I lament that I cannot stick to a schedule. When I was in school I could make it to class on time, no problem, but forget about scheduling the rest of my life. I just couldn't stick to that. It's becoming increasingly apparent, though, that we need to start sticking to a schedule. Joshua in particular needs it. I've been frustrated with the very idea because I couldn't see how I could do it. In desperation, though, I sat down and though of a few little things we could schedule out and stick to. I knew that baths needed to be one thing that I sheduled out, just to make sure they happen less sporadically. I decided to start getting up a little early to get Joshua in the tub every morning, and Hyrum is to bathe every evening. I decided that after school everyone is to have a snack and then do homework. This means that I have to make myself available to help Joshua as soon as his snack is done. And I further decided that while Joshua's in the tub I will use the bit of quiet time with little grabby babies sleeping to clean the kitchen every morning.
So far it is working really well. Joshua was thrilled with the idea of taking a bath every morning. I've been cleaning at least the downstairs more regularly (baby steps!). I even had a chance to mop this morning before Timmy got up. It's great, and I hope it's something I can stick with because it makes me happy and it helps Joshua. I've also looked at the things I have been able to do meticulously every time it was time to do them. I realized that I've been following something of a little schedule for years. That means I can do it. I mean, for example, for forever I've been showering and shaving my legs every Sunday regardless of how often I got to shower in between Sundays. If I can do that, why shouldn't I be able to follow other little scheduled things? I feel encouraged. :) (And yes, I do realize that this is all pathetic and is something I should have figured out years ago, but I'm on my own schedule, I guess. ;)
This morning as I was cleaning my kitchen I was thinking again of my college days. I remember that one year the library started lending out music CDs, and I would check them out from time to time. I was a music major and figured that if I was going to be a music major I should become more aquainted with music of the world. I checked out music from several old composers to try out and see how I liked it. I found out that I did indeed like Mahler. Another time, however, my curiosity drove me to try a CD full of nose flute music. I was fascinated by the very idea that somebody could play a flute with their nose and that they would, in fact, choose to do so on purpose. I popped the CD in my player and turned it on. I was appalled. It was awful! My Japanese roommate exclaimed through her laughter, "I think you make a mistake, Chlistine!"
1 comment:
All I can say is Amen Sista! I have the hardest time with schedules. Life gets busy when kids turn 8. Ya got Activity days for girls and scouts for boys. And now I am trying to get my kids into Karate. And Emma's going to counciling once a week. I just wonder how people do it all. How do they have a perfect home and kids that are always well pressed. I guess we just have other cool things about us. :)
Post a Comment