Monday, April 23, 2012

Jill, the Little Ham

This evening there was a Community Family Night at the high school.  They had bouncy houses for kids ages 6-12 (mine four oldest are 6-11 - phew!) and day care provided by Head Start for kids 3-5 (my youngest are too young - dang it!)  So after we got our piece of pizza and picked up free pens and such at the different booths I dropped the oldest off at the bouncy houses while I went to hear the speaker.  The keynote speaker turned out to be the one and only Richard Eyre of Joy School fame.  He gave such a great speech.  I really enjoyed it. 

But he also ran a little longer than he was supposed to and Jill and Timmy got very restless.  Well, right near the end Jill couldn't stand it anymore.  After many attempts to get away from me and get on the stage, she finally succeeded.  Before I knew it she was running in circles behind the speaker.  I couldn't get her to come back to me, and I was not about to go grab her while still carrying Timmy.  I just wanted to crawl under a rock.  I was so embarrassed.

The speaker turned around and tried to catch her, but his mic cord was too short.  He did comment on how cute she was with her little "tap shoes" (her pink jellies).  Somebody finally helped me get her. 

Well, it was all horribly embarrassing, but, gosh darn it, it left me with a question:  why in the world did I not grab my camera out of my purse and take a picture?!  After all, when am I ever going to let her out of her stroller in a public place again?

No comments: