Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Random Happiness

I didn't do my "weekly" update again.  I am so dang behind!  I now have only a small window of time on Sunday that is available for such things.  (That's somewhere between feeding everyone lunch right after we get home at 12:30 or so and going to family dinner somewhere between 3:00 and 5:00.  And if we're hosting, forget it.)  It doesn't seem like it should be so hard, but it is, especially when I'm behind.  Maybe I need to find a different day again.

Jeremy's clearance still hasn't gone through to start teaching at the high school.  We are waiting for something to come in the mail.  And when it does he will high-tail it to Tucson to finish things up as quickly as possible.  The poor guy has been feeling the lack of work.  In the meantime, though, he subbed for a few hours out at the college.  Aaron teaches out there, but he took time off for their new baby.  So Jeremy subbed for him. 

Then when he went to the Globe-Miami football game on Friday he got roped into coaching the JV team.  Oh, goodness.  And after we just had a Globe Burk family discussion about why I don't like football.  Maybe it's not that I don't like it.  I just have never really been interested in it, and I have a bad habit of zoning out that I picked up back in my marching band days.  I am not good at focusing on football.  And part of that was the fact that I was bitter because the school spent way more money on football than music.  So the football team got new everything every year.  I know that's typical and kind of needed, but while they were getting new everything every year, the band was marching around in uniforms from the 70s.  I am not even exaggerating.  They came complete with the biggest collars you have ever seen, plastic square-toed shoes, and a plastic cowboy hat with a feather.  Oh, goodness.  Awful!  I have pictures!  And you know how cowboy hats have that dip in the top?  Well, in a hard plastic hat it rubs and digs into your scalp.  Lovely!

Anyway, so you get the picture - I have resented football in the past and have learned a little too well to tune it out.  Well, don't tell Mom, but I think I may be beginning to like this idea.  Having Jeremy go to practice and a game yesterday and have ideas swirl in his head about how to fix things has got me starting to get excited.  The proof of this is evidenced by an offer I made.  I told Jeremy that if he could get them all to learn how to hit good I would make them cookies.  And I am serious.  And I'm not talking about cake mix cookies or something silly like that.  I am talking about my super yummy, made-from-scratch chocolate chip ones.  And I am talking about A LOT of them.  I'd even quadruple the batch.  And I probably will even go to at least some of the games and cheer.  Maybe I can break my bad habit of zoning out and actually learn something. (And maybe I'll get past the fact that every 3 seconds they stop and start over.  How is that fun?  I don't get it.  Yeah, it's pretty obvious that I'm clueless.  I'll be the first to admit that.)

So anyway, Jeremy will get paid a pittance for coaching, and he'll get something for teaching at the college, but I don't know what, and we definitely don't know when.  But it's money coming in, right?  I must admit I'm thankful.  I'm still tapping my foot, waiting for the state to hurry up and do that fingerprint clearance, but I'm thankful for what we have. 

Oh, and get this - we got new doors yesterday!  That means that the knobs on both front and back doors work.  And the front door doesn't have a big hole in it.  And the master bedroom has a door!  The guy is here right now installing weather stripping and whatnot.  AND yesterday we went by the shop where Jeremy's car is getting fixed, and we saw that it was actually being worked on.  The engine must have finally come in.  Hooray! :D I'm thankful.

And another happy thing lately has been listening to Jill and Timmy's ever-evolving jabber.  It is so fun.  Timmy is learning to copy more words lately, and he's also been learning what they mean and using them.  In nursery on Sunday he blew me away by picking up the star shape and plopping it right into the appropriate star-shaped hole.  On that toy there is a red star and a yellow star.  The yellow one has more points on it than the red one.  He got the right one.  And to top it all off, he said, "Star," as he did it. Who knew that he knew what a star is?  I didn't!  Yea, Timma!

And in other news, I was just handed a bunch of little nails.  I turned them all head-up and the heads all together like that look like sequins or desk magnets or something.  Beautiful!  It's funny that such a simple thing can strike me just so.

4 comments:

Elynn said...

It's good to hear from you!!! So glad you got your doors! I'm trying to figure out what the deal is you have with making a quadruple batch of cookies? What do you get out of the deal?

Christine said...

I don't personally get anything out of the deal unless it's the satisfaction of maybe helping my husband with his job. And besides, it's service, and you don't do service expecting to get something. Those boys just need to learn to hit. If this helps them learn it's worth it to me. :)

Elynn said...

Okay, I get it now. Thanks! I bet Jeremy will be a good coach. Did he play football in high school?

Christine said...

Yep, he did. :)