Soooo
I needed a break from the important books I was reading, and I heard that The Giver was really good. I decided that since they just made a movie out of it I'd better hurry and read the book first. I still haven't seen the movie, and now I'm not sure I want to. How could they possibly make that into a movie and have it come out right? I should probably see it just to find out, huh? ;)
So, yes, I loved that book! It's about a boy who lives in a dystopia, but he learns about how life should be and he changes. It's pretty powerful. It sure made me think about the power of memories and of choice and pain and a whole lot of other things that we really do need to have in our lives.
I was kind of disappointed that the end didn't say I'd he lived or not. It really annoyed me there for a bit, but then I thought about it as I was cooking dinner, and I realized (spoiler alert!) that whether or not he survived wasn't the important thing at that moment. That was quite a sobering realization. The impotent thing, make or or not, was that he courageously did the right thing.
And, of course, when I found that it was actually four books I devoured the others as well. So good! I'm thankful that I got to read them. I just wish that one other thing had been resolved in the last one, but really I can just decide that it was.
I just ordered a book I'm having printed. I haven't been able to order one since we lived in Utah, so I'm a few years behind. I'm excited to have that done! It starts just as we got to Utah in 2011 and ends when Jeremy left for Paris. I'm looking forward to having the next one done too. It'll be just the summer that Jeremy was gone. That was an important summer.
And last, but certainly not least, I've found a fun math curriculum for the children. It's called Life of Fred. It goes from basic math all the way up to college math. It's a series of books. I've been getting one or two each time Jeremy gets paid. They are so fun! They make math fun. There's some good humor in there. It's not all serious like a lot of math books. We've had lots of fun reading them. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment