So I know it's monotonous, but I'm still thinking about school and how to make it work. I decided that I need to find out what in the world I'm supposed to be studying and start studying it. In the meantime, I read my Patriarchal Blessing, and it mentions learning and being prepared to teach the Gospel. I guess that answers that question, huh? I'm lame and never finished the Old Testament, so there's a place to start.
I've also been thinking - one thing I need to share with my children every day in our little devotional (if I can ever get into that habit!) is my love for the Gospel. It is lovely, exciting stuff, and I love it. My kids should know that and catch it themselves.
Joshua has been increasingly frustrated lately and has been dragging his feet, laying around yelling and screaming. That is a good indicator that he's getting bored with what he's doing and that he's ready to transition. I need to help him find a purpose and get moving. We need to figure out what he wants to accomplish and map it out.
Hyrum is ready for scholar phase but is too busy goofing off. He's so funny! He would spend all day watching funny videos if I let him. Right now he's supposed to be working on the assignment Jeremy gave him - a report that answers his own question about the difference between mushrooms and toadstools. He looked it up and found that there is no difference. I thought, "What in the world?!" After a while he said, "Well, there is no difference, but toadstools are poisonous." Uhhhh... That sounds like a difference to me. Ha ha! I need to help him draw up a plan and start studying. I'm actually waiting on the next TJEd book to come in the mail. It's TJEd for teens, and we're supposed to both read it, and then maybe I'll feel like I know more what to do. I think, though, that this is one of those figure-it-out-as-you-go things since it's so personalized.
Benji needs to ask some questions and do some projects, and so does Michael. That is the phase they should be in now. Science experiments and whatnot, I'm guessing. I need to help them make a plan as well. I think today would be a great day to sit down and kind of hammer out some details. I'm looking forward to it, though. I think my biggest hurdle is whining. They know how to push my buttons, and I too easily give in because all my life my job has been to not ruin anybody's life, to not rock to boat or. Time to just remember that I'll ruin their lives if I don't insist.
I've had the distinct impression lately that what Timmy needs is for me to teach him to read. That is where Jill is also. I also feel that I need to employ the older kids to help the younger kids with that. The only problem is that they don't want any part of that. They only want to be read to and taught by their mommy. I think maybe if we did it in kind of a class setting with a coloring page to start with they might do better. I don't want to push Timmy, but I do want to help him, and it seems like learning to read (even if it takes a long time and we go slow) would be a blessing to him and help him in his learning to talk.
Bubby has been having a hard time lately. I think he might have gotten hurt falling down. He has been kind of fussy lately. And he is getting so quick! He is practically running everywhere he goes, and he is getting to be quite an experienced climber. So he runs and then climbs, and before I know that he's gone anywhere he falls off a chair or something. It's either that or he trips while he's walking and falls on his face. Or Timmy comes along and pushes him down. Poor fella! Argh! I think Brom is learning to be a little more careful, though. When he climbs on the couch, he's learned to go down on his belly and slide off. I'm kind of relieved. I figure that since I can't follow him around all the time, at least I can try to teach him how to get down safely. So I've been trying to help him learn that, and he's getting it. Sometimes he climbs up on a chair in the kitchen and then stands there and cries because he can't get down. I would rather go get him down than have him fall down. I recognize that "I'm stuck" cry and we rush in and save the day. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment