Friday, November 7, 2014

Friday Pictures and Thoughts

I've been meaning to blog all week!  And now I'm stuck typing with a Band-Aid on my finger!  I make Jeremy a breakfast shake every morning.  So this morning I was fumbling around in the semi-dark, too sleepy to turn on a light, looking in the dishwasher for the pieces of his blender bottle, and I found out just how sharp my new peeler is.  Impressive!  I barely touched it!  Really it's not so bad, and I don't mean to whine.  It was impressive. :)

On Thursday Rachel watched our kiddos while Jeremy and I went on a date. Jeremy won a gift card from the company picnic for Copper Bistro, and we finally used it. Jenny ordered a steak. It was quite a nice-looking one, even though he likes medium rare. I don't like my steak mooing at all!  But he enjoyed it a lot. I ordered the chicken strips and fries basket.  I really love those when they are done right.  It was so fun!  And we have some left on the card so we can go again!  We agreed to go on a Thursday again because the special on Thursdays is pasties.  We'll both get one.  Yummy!

One thing that's been on my mind is this book I've been reading.  It's called Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking.  You guys might enjoy it too!  It's only $2 or $3 for Kindle.  It's really interesting.  So far the author has validated that being an introvert is not wrong or bad.  It's just one personality type, and it's every bit as needed as the extrovert type that is so widely preached as necessary.  She went into the history of our country and how it came about that people worship extroverts and shun/work against introverts, and also how our schools have been taught that those are the people to look out for, that they are problem people.  She even mentioned Dale Carnegie and how his work has contributed to the problem.  (She wasn't saying that he did something wrong.  I think he's done a lot of good in the world.  She was just saying that in some cases people are being encouraged to be something they're not to achieve some goal of great salespeople when in reality they're just going to be getting a job in the mailroom or something.  She's just pointing out that while Carnegie is helpful, people have taken it to the extreme of saying that anything but being an extrovert is bad and needs to be discouraged.)

So anyway, I've been thinking about this as I read it.  I am so glad I came across it!  I feel it gives me more license to just be who I am.  I don't have to feel bad for being a quiet thinker.  It's who I am.  It's not wrong and it doesn't need fixed. :) So there is another book for you to go read!  I do think you would like it too, Mama!

Oh, and before I forget, a few months ago I found that I could sign my kiddos up for BookIt!  This is a program that Pizza Hut has.  The kids are given a goal for reading, and if they meet it they can have a ticket to get a free personal pan pizza.  My kiddos used to get those from the schools, but homeschoolers can do it too.  Pretty cool! :)  Hyrum and Joshua are too old and Timmy and Brom are too young, but I have 3 who can do it.  On Monday I filled out their tickets (and my early voting ballot since I needed to finally get it done and since the courthouse is over by Pizza Hut - convenient!) and took them to get their pizzas.  They were so pleased!  The lady gave them little cards to take in and get a sticker each time they get their free pizza.  If they get all 6 months they are entered for a drawing of some sort, or something like that.  And she told them to be sure to read every day.  Since then, Jill has been even more excited about me reading to her, and has been bringing me books every day to read to her.  It's been great!  It does mean that we have books scattered all over the house, but we'll get them put away.  I'd rather have that than not read to her.  She brings them to me and said, "The lady told me that we need to read every day so I can get another pizza!" :)  Good on you, Pizza Hut!

Jeremy's mom works at the local Boys and Girls Club.  Apparently NASCAR came and gave them some great tickets, and there ended up being extra tickets.  So she decided to take Dad and my older boys with her. :) Hyrum decided he didn't want to go, but Joshua, Benji, and Michael went, and they had so much fun!  They were up in a box, away from the crowds and noise, and they were fed the whole time.  Benji cheered for #99 right from the start, and that one ended up winning.  He told me that after he won he did some victory donuts.  Ha ha!  Well, cool!  I'm glad they got to go!  When I told Jeremy where they'd gone (we had very little notice and I couldn't get hold of him), he said, "Well, good thing they went.  That's some place I'm never taking them."  Yep!  I must admit that I was a tad bit jealous, though!  I'm so glad for them!  Here are the pictures she sent me:

Cool, huh? :) So exciting that they got to go!  Also, I've gotten quite used to Michael wearing glasses now.  Sometimes he forgets to put them on in the morning, but at least I'm at the point where I can notice and send him to get them.
 

Here's another picture.  Brom fell asleep like this in Priesthood two Sundays ago.  (Last Sunday I stayed home with all but Jeremy and Benji because they were all coughing and sick.  We didn't want to pass that on.  It was pretty bad.  They were all coughing constantly!  Thank goodness for cough drops and Vitamin C!  They're all a lot better now!)  How does somebody fall asleep like that?  It looks so uncomfortable!  But so cute!
 
This has nothing to do with these pictures, but as I've been working on my summer 2012 book I've realized it's going to be too long to be printed.  I'm going to have to make two books of it.  I've already done the division process, so now I'm working on two books.  Well, I should be able to get a deal printing them together!  Anyway, it's exciting working on them!  Also I've been adding more pictures just because I can.  There are a lot more awesome pictures that just the ones he sent. (And that's interesting because what he did send really took FOREVER!  I can't believe how many he sent when it took so long!  He's awesome!)  I'm still so excited that he got to go all those places!  And also, now he owes me a trip somewhere. ;)
 
And here are a few more pictures.  I told you Jeremy and Hyrum went to that youth conference last month.  Here are a few pictures.  Hyrum had a BALL.  He loved all the classes, and he loved that dance.  He's a pretty good little dancer, too.  He danced with 8 girls - at his first dance!  I'm pretty proud of him for that. :) It's a lot due to his friends' prodding, so yea for them too! 
 
Uncle Gary did one of the classes.  I told Jeremy he needed to get a picture. :) I wish Hyrum could have been in it too!
 

Here is the dance.  There were so many people they decided the gym was too small for the dance, so they did it in the parking lot.  You can see Hyrum there cutting a rug. :)
 

And here is Hyrum dancing with a GIRL!  Kind of fuzzy, but you can see that he's smiling. :)
 


2 comments:

Lynnette said...

Oh man...I'm not ready for Hyrum to be at dances with girls! No growing up and having crushes on girls! haha

Elynn said...

That's fun that the kids have incentives to read more! And fun that the boys got to go to that Nascar thing! I like the picture of Jeremy & Uncle Gary! So glad Hyrum had a great time at the Youth Conference!

I think something happened to your first paragraph. Little fingers helping maybe??? :)