Photo found on lds.org
Today the new Phoenix Temple was dedicated. I am sad that we didn't get to go to the open house, but I was glad I could go to the dedication. :) I took Benji with me, and we picked up Joe on the way. I was glad they came with me! :) Benji and I had a little talk about what goes on in the Temple. He and Joe got a little rowdy there for a bit, but mostly they were good. Benji remembered about the Hosannah Shout and was excited for it. He had his handkerchief out and ready for the entire meeting.
We were there for the second session (1:00), and the talks were all so good! The matron's assistant who spoke talked about how we should go out of our way running errands to go by the Temple with our children and things like that. We need to show them how important it is to us and make sure they know that we're going to the Temple when we do go and why.
I forgot who from the 70 spoke. His talk was so good, though. What I remembered was where he talked about Joshua. He mentioned Joshua 24:15: "but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord." His people answered and promised the same promise. And then Joshua took a big stone and put it under an oak tree near the sanctuary and told the people it represented their promise to keep the commandments. The guy who spoke to us told us that our recommends are like that stone in what they represent.
Elder Dallin H. Oaks spoke. I have always loved his talks. :) One thing he said was that at the beginning of the apostasy the first thing that was lost was the knowledge of the nature of God. He said that it then was easy for the other things to be lost as well. And he pointed out that that was the first thing that was restored with Joseph Smith - the nature of God - that he has a body of flesh and blood, that he is a separate being from Jesus and the Holy Ghost.
And President Uchtdorf spoke. One thing I didn't realize before is that he received his endowments in the Mesa Temple. That's cool! There was a little video of him on Facebook with his wife yesterday, and he talked about how the Mesa Temple feels like home. I like that. :) As I entered the doors of that Temple for my own endowment that is exactly what I felt. It felt like coming home. The entire Endowment session for me felt that way. :) In his talk at the dedication he said that when he finished his fighter pilot training he received something that said he was fully combat ready for any military service. But he said that at the Temple he received combat training for life and for fighting against the bad he would face.
President Uchtdorf also said that we should show our gratitude for the Temple by attending it, and that in the Temple we learn things as they really are. I would add that those things we learn are greatly enhanced because we have the Spirit to whisper things to us there. I know that is what he means. It's a beautiful thing! :) I'm thankful. What a great meeting it was! My testimony was strengthened, and it made me feel so happy. :)

2 comments:
Dear Christine, Thank you for your thoughts and feelings of the Phoenix Temple Dedication!!! Did you take notes? Thanks for remembering all of that! I wish my memory was as good as yours! I know that in the hereafter everything I learn (and then forget) will be remembered! :)
You went to two sessions then? Did the others three boys get to go? We went to all three and I'm so grateful that we did! Elder Uchtdorf praised the Arizona Pioneers and the hardships they endured!
Oh, man! It took some serious effort to remember all that! But it's good for my brain. ;) I came up with one word for each thing I wanted to remember, and then i said the list over and over in my head. And by the end i was worried I'd forget all of it. I was so bummed that i couldn't take notes because it was so good!
I only went to one session. Just the second.
Post a Comment