I've been thinking about Snowflake lately, I guess. This brings up 2 little memories that I want to record.
One time I was in Regionals. Well, I was in Regionals more than once, but you know. This one time I don't remember if I was doing band or choir, but Snowflake was hosting it. (It was probably choir.) Mama arranged for me to stay the night with my Peterson grandparents there in Snowflake. I liked that. I'd stayed there before, but not without the rest of my family. I stayed in that second bedroom on the right as you go down the hall. In the morning Granddaddy was at the stove cooking, and he made me an omelet with his fancy omelet pan. I don't think I'd ever had one before. It was yummy! Grandma sent me home with a bag of dried fruit labeled "papaya tidbits." It was not yummy. (Don't worry, though. When Grandma did the actual cooking, the food was yummy. :) )
And another time, I don't remember why, but Mama and I were in Snowflake, and we arranged to stay the night with Grandma Ruth (my Great Granddaddy S. Eugene Flake's second wife) in that old house across from the Big House. I have a brief memory of that house when I was really little and Granddaddy was still alive and that one room was painted all red. I don't remember more than that one room to the left of the entrance on that particular occasion, so there might have been more red walls in that house. Granddaddy loved red. Anyway, this is one of the only other times I remember being in that house. The walls were not red anymore. Grandma Ruth was obviously not as nice as Grandma Lilly. Ha ha! Just kidding. She was a very nice lady. :) It was kind of cool to stay the night there in that old room with the old furniture and old blankets and stuff. In the morning I took a little walk out in the backyard, wondering what life was like there when Granddaddy and Grandma were still alive. Grandma Ruth made biscuits to go with breakfast in a little toaster oven. I don't know if I'd ever seen a toaster oven before. Anyway, we had those biscuits with butter and jelly, and you know what a sucker I am for anything bread. Those biscuits that morning tasted so, so good!
No comments:
Post a Comment